Student Registraton

  • The information below is designed to answer frequently asked questions about the school registration process for new students.

    Where is new student registration held?

    The new student registration process for all buildings and grade levels in the District begins with Donna Patterson, District Clerk at the District Office, located at 25 Ellas Avenue, Bath, NY. Registration hours are 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.  Parents or guardians must accompany all new students.

    Children entering Pre-K must be four years old by December 1 of the year they begin school. Children entering Kindergarten must be five years old by December 1 of the year they begin school. Please call the VEW Office for additional information at (607) 776-3301 x. 4000.

    What information is needed to register?

    Before registering, New York State education law requires that the following documents be presented:

    NOTE:  If you are currently experiencing a temporary housing situation, all documents listed below are NOT required for enrollment.   **Please refer to the section below with information regarding Temporary Housing**

    1) Original documentation of birth, in the form of an original, state-issued birth certificate (passport or transcribed birth certificate for foreign-born students).

    2) Two proofs of residence, which include the name and address of a parent or guardian and are dated within 30 days.

    Examples of acceptable proof of address include the following:

    • Valid homeowners’ insurance policy
    • Electric bill (Page 2 of bill containing name and service address of parent/guardian)
    • Cable television bill or installation receipt
    • Valid auto insurance identification card
    • Mortgage statement
    • Recent valid and legal lease agreement.
    • Recent New York State driver's license.
    • Pay stub/earning statement
    • Recent tax bill with residential STAR

    Unacceptable items include:

    • U.S. mail
    • Bank or credit card records
    • Payroll checks
    • Property deeds
    • Cell phone bills
    • Rent receipts
    • Post office boxes
    • Any proof older than 30 days.

    3) Official immunization record signed by a physician or clinic staff.

    4) Custody papers, if applicable. If the student is not the biological child, documentation must be presented which proves a permanent and total transfer of custody and control has been achieved.

    5) If a student is in Foster Care, a copy of the 2999 Form must be provided.

    6) Name and complete mailing address of student's previous school.

    PLEASE NOTE:  Bath CSD uses the Great Schools District and Boundary Map feature as a tool to determine residency.


    • Please register as early as possible. In cases where students are registered three days or less before school begins, they may be unable to begin school or have bus transportation on opening day. Most schools in the district do not allow students to attend on the day they have registered.
    • Only documents using the student’s legal name (the name that appears on the original birth certificate or name change document) will be included in the student’s official record.
    • Academic records, including transcripts, IEP, 504 plan, most recent report cards, should be presented to the school after registration is completed.
    • All new entrants, including PreK and Kindergarten students are required to have a physical.

    The e-mail address for the registrar's office is:


    Are you Living ...

           With relatives, friends, or others because you lost your housing, or because of an economic hardship?

           In a shelter?

           In a motel or hotel because you have nowhere else to go?

           In inadequate housing?

    If you answered yes to any of the questions above your child(ren) may have rights under the McKinney-Vento Act.  They may have the option to stay in the same school with transportation provided, even if it is across district lines.

    They also may enroll immediately in the district which they reside without all the required paperwork listed above.

    How you can learn more:

    Contact the Homeless Liaison for our district -    Randy Brzezinski     607-622-1105

    Complete the Enrollment-Housing Questionnaire Form (available at the bottom of this page). Bring this completed form into the registration office.  Someone will be able to explain your options and answer any questions you may have regarding your child's education options.

    New York State Technical and Education Assistance Center for Homeless Students, this is a great resource which is full of information regarding the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act.   You can check out this website at


    Our Bath CSD policy - 5151 - Students in Temporary Housing is in this link.