Data Security and Privacy
Data Security and Privacy
Technology is an integral part of the teaching and learning experience in the Bath Central School District. The ever-increasing availability of online teaching and learning resources comes with inherent risks and concerns regarding student data, privacy and student work. We as a district have a responsibility to ensure that student's data and privacy is adequately protected while using any online digital resource for school work. The Bath School District is providing the following information/resources for parents, teachers, and the community so that they can better understand what student data is, how student data is collected and used and the laws and practices that the district adheres to in order to protect student data and privacy.
Parent and Staff Information
- What do we mean by Student Data
- A Parent’s Guide to Student Data Privacy (FERPA/SHERPA)
- Protecting Student Privacy 101
The Bath Central School District oversees a wide range of information about students. The district manages personally identifiable information (PII) about students in accordance with the federal laws known as FERPA and COPPA. More information regarding federal and state laws, district policies and guidelines that address technology use and student data privacy are listed below.
New York State Data Privacy and Security
- Ed Law 2D - Education Law § 2-d went into effect in April 2014. The focus of the statute was to foster privacy and security of personally identifiable information (PII) of students and certain PII related to classroom teachers and principals.
- Part 121 Amendment to Ed Law 2D - Although the proposed regulations largely restate the requirements of Education Law § 2-d, there are new elements, including the adoption by the New York State Education Department of a data security and privacy standard, as was required by the statute. The Department will adopt the National Institute for Standards and Technology (NIST) Framework for Improving Critical Infrastructure Cybersecurity Version 1.1 (CSF or Framework)
Applicable Federal and State Laws that Impact Technology Use and Student Privacy
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)
- Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA)
- Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment (PPRA)
- Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act (IDEA)
Bath Central School District Policies and Guidelines for Student Data and Security
- Acceptable Use Policy
- Student Education Records Information
- Privacy and Security for Student, Teacher, and Principal Data
- National Center for Educational Services - Privacy Technical Assistance Center (PTAC)
- K12 Cyber Security Resource Center
- K12 Privacy & Security Blueprint
- The National School Board Association
- Student Data Privacy Pledge
If you have any questions or concerns regarding Data Privacy and Security, please contact Christopher Smith, Director of Educational Technology and Data Protection Officer for Bath Central School District at firstname.lastname@example.org or 607-776-3301 x 1026.